Global Location Strategy and CRES operate within the Service Company and COO and is a centralised, global function, which supports the business by delivering and operating its real estate strategy. Global Location Strategy and CRES has an operational presence in 34 countries, comprising c.180 internal and c.8,500 outsourced colleagues. The department is diverse in its specialisms covering everything from Location Strategy, Portfolio Optimisation, Workplace design, Engineering, Facilities and Construction Project Management to Environmental Management, Travel, Health & Safety, Risk & Control and Supplier Management.
Overall purpose of role
The VP of Real Estate provides the Corporate Real Estate Solutions (CRES) function with strategic and operational management across core disciplines. The role holder is a key strategic partner in developing business cases with supporting financial analysis and executing the centre led portfolio strategy across the group real estate portfolio, encompassing 18.6 million square feet of space. The role holder is responsible for managing real estate operations including lease administration and property transactions with landlords, developers, brokers and subtenants. The role holder will play a leading role in overall real estate goverance and control. Additional responsibilities include Real Estate supplier and resource management, contract management, MI & stakeholder reporting and conformance to regulatory compliance initiatives. The role holder has a deep understanding of all CRES Regional and Global teams and is a key contact for Functions such as Finance, Legal, and Procurement. The role holder will interface with global/regional business & function heads and COOs, CRES global CoE's and regional senior management, external consultancies, and Senior Executive governance bodies.
- Work closely with and support the MD Portfolio Optimisation and Workplace across the full range of Real Estate activity including aligning real estate strategy to the future shape of Barclays, review and challenge of property business cases, manage property pipeline and tracker activities, portfolio reduction objectives and as required, support for ServCo and Structural Reform;
- Business case and analytics lead for centre led portfolio strategy across 18.6 million square feet of space, consisting of offices, call centres, data centres and sublet properties;
- Develop, write and present applicable Business Case and analytics for global property propositions;
- Provide value adding portfolio analysis and expert guidance;
- Accountable for managing the master schedule of critical lease events (expiries, renewals, terminations, expansions, etc), and linking strategy to internal approval process ahead of decision gateways;
- Develop an in-depth knowledge of the property portfolio and associated management information systems. Play a leading role in the continued development of value adding MI systems;
- Maintain effective, positive relationships with all CRES Leadership team members and CRES Portfolio Optimisation and Workplace Group and Regional teams;
- Own and manage specific project work as agreed with MD Portfolio Optimisation and Workplace.
Real Estate Financial Management:
- Responsible for the procurement and management of independent annual property valuation reports to inform location strategy and meet internal financial reporting requirements across tax, technical accounting, regulatory and compliance;
- Ensures purchase order and invoicing activities are set up and aligned to Real Estate operating budget;
- Manages financial risks and opportunities; escalates issues as appropriate.
Real Estate Governance and Control:
- Support and where appropriate, own property governance matters relating to Real Estate working closely with the rest of the CRES Portfolio Optimisation and Workplace and Regional CRES teams as necessary;
- Review, update and maintain Real Estate controls and ensure they that they are implemented and operate effectively;
- Ensure conformance to group policy, such as sanction screenings, ABC risk assessments, and approval records. Establishes team processes to maintain ongoing effectiveness. Manages formal submissions and responses to internal audits and testing;
- Regularly liaise with and maintain effective working relationship with CRES Risk teams;
Real Estate Supplier Relationship Management:
- Support the Real Estate Supplier Manager in the day-to-day management of CRES Real Estate suppliers, including:
- Liaison with the suppliers as required
- Completion of all mandatory Procurement Policy and Management Standard requirements
- Contract negotiations
- Stay abreast of new policy requirements and ensure that they are implemented in line with guidance and within relevant timelines
- Maintenance of robust control environment
- Maintenance of accurate supplier information/data across various repositories; and Ensure that the regional real estate provider and bank complies with and performs in line with the global contract, including but not limited to the stated service levels and associated operations, technology, training & development, invoicing, reporting, change management, governance, etc.
- The ideal candidate will have significant demonstrable experience of initiating, designing, leading, or materially contributing to Corporate Real Estate Strategy, financial analysis and business case development; ideally in the financial services industry.
- Proven track record of influencing at Senior Executive level across business units and functions.
- The ability to undertake commercial and financial analysis or review/amend complex financial models would be an advantage.
- Excellent attention to detail with a high level of strategic vision.
- Successfully manage budgets and implement measures to monitor expenditure.
- Ability to lead and multi task various work streams. The ideal candidate can manage operational control processes, applications and tools relevant to the role.
Risk and Control Objective
All Barclays colleagues have to ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with regulatory requirements, Enterprise Wide Risk Management Framework and internal Barclays Policies and Policy Standards